Saturday, May 24, 2014

"X-Men: Days of Future Past" Leaves the Past Behind

But in a good way.

Fourteen years ago, I was disappointed in the first "X-Men" film, in spite of adoring the performances and portrayals of Hugh Jackman's Wolverine, Sir Ian McKellen's Magneto, and Sir Patrick Stewart's Professor X.  As the years passed on and the movies rolled out, this sense of tremendous disappointment would continue onward until 2013's "The Wolverine," which was Bryan Singer free, with James Mangold at the helm (which has a sequel in the works.  Yay!).

In spite of being at the "X-Men: Days of Future Past" panel last year, I was skeptical (and have been skeptical for sometime) because Bryan Singer, who brought me film on top of film of disappointment of some kind over the years, was once again the director.

I'm happy to report that I am more than happily surprised.


This film redeemed all of the other films that sort of crapped on my childhood.  I loved watching the X-Men cartoon on Saturday mornings.

And I don't mean redeemed in just style, story, music, and editing, but also the acting.

Halle Berry finally portrays Storm properly.  I loved how they changed her aesthetics--very fitting.  And while it's true, she doesn't say much, she looks more serious and subdued.  Something about her previous performances always came off as not-serious/a bit of a joke to me.

Jennifer Lawrence--her role previously in "X-Men: First Class" was a total dud.  But I'm starting to think it's because she doesn't do carefree very well.  Raven in that film verses Raven in this film is ten times better.  She is clearly burdened and colder.  She rarely smiles in this film.  She's somber and on a path of vengeance, and this is the type of role that suits Lawrence quite well, and she was able to serve the character properly this time around.

This is the second time travel film I've seen this week, and it did it right (as well).

My only criticism of this film is that there wasn't nearly enough Quick Silver.  What a great character.  Evan Peters, just steal my heart.  Oh, that's right, Michael Fassbender, who had a plethora of screen time, has already taken it.

In closing, if action/sci-fi/fantasy films are your thing, and if you liked the previous films (even if you didn't), I recommend this film as part of your summer movie experience.

Happy Watching!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment