Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Diary of a Fangirl: Miley Cyrus' Grotesque VMA Performance

There are many articles popping up (such as this one), stating that Miley Cyrus is privileged and shouldn't be using aspects of "black" culture.

Here's what I think: I have to say that I don't like the idea that those particular things are associated  with black culture.  Sure they're part of some kind of culture--ghetto culture or ratchet culture--but not black. 

Oh Robin--how in the blue hell did you let yourself get roped into this grotesque and pathetic performance?

As a black woman, I reject that as an image of black people.  If Miley wants to let her tongue hang out and look ratchet and stank as hell, it only makes her look like a fool, and I for one feel sorry for her, not offended that she's privileged and wandering into "black" culture.  She just looks pathetic, IMO, and to many others. I don't think anyone sees it as her treading on black culture, which is why I hate articles like this. Like that whole thing when "video hoes" were considered degrading to all women.  Uh, no they weren't.  They were a certain sect who felt comfortable being objectified, and do not represent the rest of us.

And to say that she's acting/dressing ghetto "...without having to deal with the racism and racialization that black women live with every day. In short, she can imagine that she is being "ghetto" without having any concept of what living in a ghetto would really mean."  Well damn, I'm not from the ghetto either with no substantial experiences of what it is like to live in one.  And you know what?  There's a whole lot of black people who don't have those experiences either.  Know what else I don't have an experience in?  Being ratchet. Let Miley have it--I'm not going to petition for that. I'm also not oppressed by that.

No comments:

Post a Comment