Saturday, November 17, 2012

Diary of a Fangirl: We Will Always Love Whitney Houston

I actually heard about this tribute on CBS on a fluke--I saw a commercial for it on Elementary, the only show I watch on the station.  Good thing I did, otherwise I would have missed this.


Just dotted down some thoughts as I watched.

Halle Berry is up first.  She's fairly emotional right now.  Didn't realize she and Whitney were close.

So, so glad Jennifer Hudson did the opening.  If anyone can sing a Whitney song and do it justice, it's her.

Britney Spears--I know she won a Grammy or two, but it just somehow seems wrong for her to be there...Sorry, but she just isn't a "voice."



They're showing a plethora of old Whitney clips and goodness, her voice was truly beautiful.  Truly.  She really was a national treasure. 

Wow--a clip of Celine Dion singing "The Greatest Love of All" in the 80s.  She has a powerful voice, but it isn't the same.  But she comes out and admits she could never sing it like Whitney.  Classy.  And then she goes on to sing it, as only Celine can.

I mostly just want Jennifer Hudson to come back out and sing.  Or Luther, RIP.

Now they're showing the full clip of Whitney singing "I Will Always Love You" at the 1994 Grammy's.  Beautiful.

Who are these random people they keep showing in the audience?

And now, Usher sings "I Believe in You and Me."  It's...meh.  It's aight.

Oh, Cece Winans and Yolanda Adams.  I hope they sing a song...Yolanda in particular--her voice is amazing.

Ooh, and they are!  A beautiful rendition of "Count On Me."  Two sistahs who don't need a mic up on their mouths to be heard.  

All in all, a short presentation, but sweet.


No comments:

Post a Comment